Play Dough Necklace
Craft homemade jewelry with your little artist.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Attention and Focus
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 cup salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ cups boiling water
- Food coloring (your choice of colors)
- Sharp pencil or chopstick
- Yarn or string
What to do:
Measure the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir this together very well.
Measure and add the vegetable oil.
Stir in the boiling water (adult only). Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
Help your child knead the dough until it is very smooth. Divide it into 4 balls.
Help your child add a few drops of different shades of food coloring to each ball. Knead the color so that it is well distributed.
Show your child how to roll the play dough into beads that are each about the size of a cherry. Poke a hole through each bead, using the pencil (adult only). Wiggle the pencil around a little bit to make sure the hole is large enough for yarn or string to get through.
- Let the beads dry overnight. Help your child string the beads onto the yarn, alternating the colors. Tie each necklace by knotting the ends of the yarn together.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5
Find Just-Right Books