Pine Cone Creatures
Bring a touch of autumn to your child's world.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- pine cones
- acorn caps
- other natural materials (acorns, leaves, moss, twigs, bark)
- pom poms
- shoe box
- construction paper
- art supplies
What to do:
- With your child, collect pinecones (or you can purchase them at a nursery), along with leaves, twigs, and other "natural" materials.
- To make a pine cone creature, your child can glue a pom pom to one end of the pine cone, make wings out of leaves or arms out of twigs, eyes out of acorn caps or construction paper, a nose out of a leaf or construction paper, and so on.
- Glue acorn caps to the bottom of the creature to make feet (and to keep the creature more stable).
- Decorate the inside of a shoebox with paint or construction paper and leaves, twigs, and other natural items to create a habitat for the creatures.
- Ask your child to name his pine cone creatures. The two of you can make up stories and adventures for this new species!