Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Memory and Memorization
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- family photos
- postcards, tickets, and greeting cards
- 8" x 10" piece of cardboard
- picture frame for an 8" x 10" photo, with mat
- fabric, paper scraps, or other decorative items
- child safety scissors
What to do:
- Read a book about families, such as The Family Book, by Todd Parr. Talk about your own family. How is your family similar to or different from those depicted in the story? Use words to describe family relationships, such as mother-in-law, grandparents, cousins, aunts, or stepsister.
- Tell your child you'd like to make a collage of family moments together. Offer materials, such as glue, glitter, drawings, family photos, and any meaningful scraps, such as plane tickets or cards.
- Invite your child to arrange and glue the pictures — cut into different shapes and sizes — and other decorations onto the cardboard to create a collage. Let dry.
- Place the collage in the matted frame, and encourage your child to decorate the frame. Display!
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 3-5