Braid a Rag Rug
Warm up to this easy, cozy craft.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- 2 queen-size cotton sheets
- 1 piece of carpet pad (cut to desired rug size)
- old paintbrush
- vinyl adhesive caulk (available at craft stores)
What to do:
- Snip and rip the sheets into 4-inch wide strips of fabric, each the length of the sheet.
- Start by braiding three of the strips. Continue the braid each time you reach the end by overlapping three new strips until you have one long, continuous braid. Wrap the braid around a piece of cardboard (like a spool) as you work to prevent tangling.
- With an old paintbrush, apply the vinyl adhesive to the center of the carpet pad, then attach one end of the braid to it.
- Coil the braid, attaching it to the carpet pad with more adhesive as you go.
- When finished, tuck the braid end under the pad and secure with a dab of adhesive.
- Let dry according to adhesive directions.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 11-13
Find Just-Right Books