Celebrate fall by baking colorful leaf-shaped cookies.
Hover over each Learning Benefit below for a detailed explanation.
Fine Motor Skills
What you need:
- leaf shapes (cut from construction paper, copied from a book, or traced from real leaves you pick up on a nature walk)
- refrigerated cookie dough
- plastic knives or tongue depressors
- rolling pins
- cookie sheets
- 3 egg yolks (separated from whites)
- food coloring
- 3/4 cup water
- new paintbrushes
What to do:
- Roll out the refrigerated dough.
- Use the leaf shapes as patterns to cut leaves out of dough. Supervise children carefully if they are using plastic knives. (Tongue depressors can be used instead.)
- Mix egg yolks and food coloring and pour the mixture into small paper cups, bowls, or mini-muffin tins. Add a few drops of food coloring in leafy hues (green, yellow, orange, red, brown) to each.
- Use the paintbrushes to paint the leaf-shaped cookies.
- Bake cookies according to package directions and eat!
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 4-6
Find Just-Right Books