Here are some book picks for your 5th grader:
- The Watsons Go to Birmingham -- 1963, by Christopher Paul Curtis: This historical fiction novel is about a family who moves from Michigan to Alabama, experiencing a tragic event of racism.
- Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbit: This book explores the friendship between two young adults.
- The Hundred Dresses, by Eleanor Estes: This book explores the serious issue of poverty and alienating classmates.
- The Kid's Guide to Money: Earning It, Saving It, Spending It, Growing It, Sharing It, by Steven Otfinoski: This guide helps kids understand money, economic concepts and spending.
- Holes, by Louis Sachar: This hard to explain book tells the story of a group of young boys, woven with historical events, in a fantasy-like, engaging and captivating manner.