Here are some book picks for your 1st grader:
- Bunny Money, by Rosemary Wells: This book introduces the concept of money and enables kids to play with their own “bunny money” in an amusing way as they read about the familiar characters Max and Ruby.
- The Frog and Toad Series, by Arnold Lobel: This well-known series is often used to help kids read longer form books, talk about character and plot and enjoy humorous stories about an unlikely friendship between two very different animals.
- Chrysanthemum, by Kevin Henkes: This book by favorite author, Kevin Henkes is commonly used in school to help students understand differences and how to interact with their friends. It can help sparking conversations about topics such as teasing and feeling different.
- Lon Po Po: A Red-Riding Hood Story from China, by Ed Young: This is a good example of a fairy tale from another culture and can be a good way to compare different versions of the same story as well as learn about different cultures.
- Mr. Popper's Penguins, by Richard and Florence Atwater: This is an amusing and enjoyable book often used for read alouds. It is a great book to read to your child.
Recommended Products for Your Child Ages 6-7