Scholastic produces educational materials to assist and inspire students:
- To cultivate their minds to utmost capacity
- To become familiar with our cultural heritage
- To strive for excellence in creative expression in all fields of learning, literature, and art
- To seek effective ways to live a satisfying life
- To enlarge students' concern for and understanding of today's world
- To help build a society free of prejudice and hate, and dedicated to the highest quality of life in community and nation
We strive to present the clearest explanation of current affairs and contemporary thought, and to encourage literary appreciation and expression consistent with the understanding and interests of young people at all levels of learning.
We believe in:
- The worth and dignity of each individual
- Respect for the diverse groups in our multicultural society
- The right of each individual to live in a wholesome environment, and equally, the personal responsibility of each individual to help gain and preserve a decent and healthful environment, beginning with informed care of one's own body and mind
- High moral and spiritual values
- The democratic way of life, with basic liberties — and responsibilities — for everyone
- Constitutional, representative government, and even-handed justice that maintains equality of rights for all people
- Responsible competitive enterprise and responsible labor, with opportunities for all
- Cooperation and understanding among all people for the peace of the world
We pledge ourselves to uphold the basic freedoms of all individuals; we are unalterably opposed to any system of government or society that denies these freedoms. We oppose discrimination of any kind on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, age, or national origin.
Good citizens may honestly differ on important public questions. We believe that all sides of the issues of our times should be fairly discussed — with deep respect for facts and logical thinking — in classroom magazines, books, and other educational materials used in schools and homes.