This recipe makes about 2 dozen cookies.
For the cookies:
• 4 cups cake flour
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ¼ tsp kosher salt
• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
• 1¾ cups granulated sugar
• 4 large egg whites
• ¼ tsp pure vanilla extract
• ½ tsp lemon extract
• ¾ cups whole milk
For the icing:
• 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
• ¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp milk
• 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
• One large tube white decorating frosting
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together into a medium bowl.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer and beat them on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Add the egg whites and beat to combine. Add the extracts and beat to combine. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the milk in 3 additions, mixing between additions until just combined.
- Lightly grease 2 cookie sheets with butter. Stagger 3-tablespoon scoops of the batter onto the sheets, leaving about 3 to 4 inches between. Wet a small offset spatula or butter knife with water, and use it to spread each ball of batter into a thin round, creating as smooth a surface as possible. Continue to wet the spatula as needed.
- Bake the cookies until fluffy and lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets in the oven halfway through. Remove and let cool on wire racks.
- Meanwhile, make the icing. In a small bowl, stir together the confectioners’ sugar, milk, and vanilla until smooth. Stir in the cocoa powder. Using a small offset spatula or butter knife, spread the icing over the cookies. Using the white decorating frosting, pipe the design of a clock onto each cookie (the numbers 12, 3, 6, and 9, and two arrows pointing to indicate that it’s almost midnight). Let set in a cool place for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- The cookies may be served right away or refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Copyright ©2013 by Buddy V Entertainment from FAMILY CELEBRATIONS WITH THE CAKE BOSS published by Atria Books, a division of Simon & Schuster, Inc. Kitchen Boss, TLC and related logos are trademarks of Discovery Communications, LLC under license. All rights reserved.