- Be exposed to the format of a Poetry Slam
- Hear several examples of unexpected poetry
- Demonstrate an understanding of standard-specific poetry elements and vocabulary
- Demonstrate an ability to respond, analyze and think critically about poetry
- Write an "Ode" using the concepts covered
Teach students about the flexibility of poetry by introducing nontraditional poetry forms like slam poetry.
1 CLASS PERIOD
Students identify the elements of poetry through reading and listening, define related terms, and recognize and apply poetry writing strategies.