National Health Standards
- Students will comprehend concepts related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to access valid health information and health promoting products and services.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to practice health enhancing behaviors and reduce health risks.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to use interpersonal communication skills to enhance health.
- Students will demonstrate the ability to advocate for personal, family, and community health.
- Become aware of how their level of self-esteem affects their lives
- See the relationship between self-esteem and the kinds of choices they make
- Learn ways and how to set goals to enhance their self-esteem
- Become aware of the things that they and other people do that either enhances or undermines self-esteem.
- See the relationship between body image and self-esteem
Students write one positive thing about a person in the class and share with someone else in the class. They can write why they like them, or what is great about them, etc. The objective is to get students to share and express their feelings about their self-esteem and to build a class sense of community.
Stick Up for Yourself by Gerri Johnson, Gershen Kaufman, and Lev Raphael
101 Ways To Develop Student Self-Esteem and Responsibility by Jack Canfield and Frank Siccone
Building Self-Esteem by Linda R. Zack
The Skin I'm In by Sharon G. Flake
The Girls' Guide to Life: Take charge of your personal life, your school time, your social scene, and much more! by Catherine Dee
104 Activities that help Build Esteem, Teamwork, Communication, Discovery and Coping Skills by Alanna E.Jones
Self-esteem refers to how you feel about yourself as a person and how much you value yourself. The way we feel about ourselves has a huge affect on the way we treat ourselves, others, and on the kinds of choices we make.
This lesson will build class pride and help students see that setting goals and accomplishments builds self-esteem.
Body image has an impact on how you feel about yourself as a person. It can affect your self-esteem. Discussing body image may be embarrassing or uncomfortable for some students. Be sensitive when addressing this topic.