These lessons teach young students about appreciation and being thankful while explaining the story of Thanksgiving.
- Compare and contrast what the Pilgrims were thankful for their first year in America and what we are thankful for today
- Memorize the poem "I'm Thankful For..."
- Make a laminated landscape placemat featuring a picture of the student and the poem
- Construct a miniature Mayflower that will float in a cup of water
- T is for Turkey! P Is for Pilgrim!: A fun, interactive sorting activity
- Help Set the Table With Clifford: A simple cut-and-paste activity
Books for Teaching the First Thanksgiving
With the help of these teacher-recommended titles, students will learn about Pilgrims, Native Americans, and more.
Students will learn that the Pilgrims were thankful for the land on which they lived, make placemats that depict a landscape and a poem about being thankful, and name several things for which they are thankful.
1 CLASS PERIOD
Teach students about appreciation as they make a miniature model of the Mayflower and write a letter of thanks.