These lessons teach young students about appreciation and being thankful while explaining the story of Thanksgiving.
- Compare and contrast what the Pilgrims were thankful for their first year in America and what we are thankful for today
- Memorize the poem "I'm Thankful For..."
- Make a laminated landscape placemat featuring a picture of the student and the poem
- Construct a miniature Mayflower that will float in a cup of water
- T is for Turkey! P Is for Pilgrim!: A fun, interactive sorting activity
- Help Set the Table With Clifford: A simple cut-and-paste activity
Books for Teaching the First Thanksgiving
With the help of these teacher-recommended titles, students will learn about Pilgrims, Native Americans, and more.
Teach students the meaning of Thanksgiving through poetry by helping them make placemats adorned with their pictures and lines from a poem.
1 CLASS PERIOD
Teach students about appreciation as they make a miniature model of the Mayflower and write a letter of thanks.