Students will see beyond the kids table as they research the significance of Thanksgiving.
These lessons teach young students about appreciation and being thankful while explaining the story of the Pilgrims and their journey to the New World.
- Construct a miniature Mayflower that will float in a cup of water
- Compare and contrast what the Pilgrims were thankful for their first year in America and what we are thankful for today
- Memorize the poem "I'm Thankful For..."
- Make a laminated landscape placemat featuring a picture of the student and the poem
- T is for Turkey! P Is for Pilgrim!: A fun, interactive sorting activity
- Help Set the Table With Clifford: A simple cut-and-paste activity
Books for Teaching the First Thanksgiving
With the help of these teacher-recommended titles, students will learn about Pilgrims, Native Americans, and more.
Teach students about appreciation as they make a miniature model of the Mayflower and write a letter of thanks.
1 CLASS PERIOD
Students will learn that the Pilgrims were thankful for the land on which they lived, make placemats that depict a landscape and a poem about being thankful, and name several things for which they are thankful.