Use these resources to facilitate student discussions about patriotism and American military heroes, or assign research projects to delve deeper into the United States' military history.
During this unit, students will discuss their understanding of "good" government, study the Bill of Rights in relation to our freedoms, and learn about veterans' contributions to the liberties that we enjoy.
- Identify what they feel good government should provide for its citizens
- Link their ideas about good government to those of the founders of our country through analysis of the Preamble to the Constitution
- Show through their mural that they understand the meaning of the Preamble to the Constitution
- Write some of the important rights included in the Bill of Rights
- Define the term "veteran" and name the date we celebrate the holiday
- Properly fold the American flag
- Name at least two American symbols, songs, or pledges that are important to veterans
- Books for Teaching About Patriotism
- Patriotic Holidays Book List