- Utilize brainstorming techniques
- List ways people communicate
- Read and create a timeline
- Interpret and identify the elements of folktales, with an emphasis on tall tales
- Read for literacy experience
- Write to express personal ideas to an audience
- Present their writing to the class
- Discover and identify cryptology used in everyday life
- Apply knowledge to create and cracking a secret code
- Develop a dictionary of eponyms
Now that they've learned that language is invented and developed over time, the students get to invent their own language! The unit will culminate with the students creating their own dictionary of eponyms. Each child will introduce one or more of their eponyms into the vocabulary of their family and friends.
2 CLASS PERIODS
Students read and discuss American tall tales, including their common characteristics.
4 CLASS PERIODS
Activate students' natural curiosity about secrets and teach them how cryptology is used as a form of communication.