Students research, report on, and emulate inventors using these resources.
Students explore simple machines and their importance in the development of modern technology. Students will complete research to develop an understanding of simple machines before applying knowledge to complete a model and brainstorming applications for simple machines in a new invention.
- Observe and identify the types of simple machines
- Conduct research and gather data to increase knowledge of simple machines
- Apply knowledge and organize data to complete a graphic organizer and focus questions
- Identify and understand the terms: force, effort, work
- Communicate data and observations to a partner
- Demonstrate knowledge by designing and constructing a model of an obstacle course, utilizing simple machines
- Develop expository writing to sequentially describe the use of the model
- Present creative and written work in an oral presentation
- Brainstorm ideas for a new product using simple machines
- Communicate a finished project through an oral, written, and graphic presentation
Host a "Young Inventors" Day. Students could create presentations on various young inventors who were responsible for many products important today. Students could dress the part of famous inventors, and perform "Who Am I" skits. Inventions made by the class could be displayed and presented to parents, other students, and faculty.
- Books for Teaching Simple Machines and the Inventions They Created
- Books About Inventors and Inventions
Students gain knowledge about simple machines through a short research project that will build a base for the next two lessons in the unit.
2 CLASS PERIODS
Students apply the principles of simple machines to create events in a wacky obstacle course, similar to those seen on popular television shows such as Survivor, Fear Factor, and Endurance.
4 CLASS PERIODS
Students will utilize higher level thinking skills by formulating new applications for simple machines in an original invention that solves a common problem.
4 CLASS PERIODS
Featured Book List
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8