- Create an Iditarod Picture Dictionary based on key terms and concepts
- Explore the geography of Alaska and the Iditarod by navigating an interactive map of the route and competing in a virtual sled race
- Generate questions for champion mushers to learn about their lives and the lives of sled dogs
- Research the checkpoints along the Iditarod and recreate the race in the classroom
- Form opinions on the treatment of sled dogs and express their thoughts in an online poll
- Write persuasive essays on the treatment of sled dogs
Students explore the exciting dogsled race across Alaska while creating a picture dictionary of key Iditarod terms.
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Students use what they read, research, and learn about the Iditarod, an Alaskan dogsled race, to recreate the checkpoints along the Iditarod trail.
Through various online activities, students get an inside look at the annual 1,100-mile dogsled race across Alaska's windswept tundra.