Give students a warm welcome with these fun getting-to-know-you activities and unit plans.
- Create a brochure about themselves and share with class.
- Be assessed in reading and writing for baseline data and instructional decisions.
- Review success strategies for content classes.
- Learn the routines of the READ 180 classroom
- Make class commitments to create the ideal classroom environment.
After brainstorming ideas, students write a description of their ideal classroom and share their commitments to make this class ideal. We include anti-bullying information and expectations of the school, as well as my expectations, to create a display of the classroom climate we agree to maintain.
Classmates get to know each other by creating autobiographical brochures containing narrative writing and photos. This lesson is especially useful to the first year teacher and new teacher, because it also covers classroom rules.
Presents the steps involved in an effective Read 180 reading assessment.