For 3–4 weeks, students will work on a comprehensive unit designed to introduce them to the world of political campaigns. This unit combines standards from Social Studies, Language Arts, and Math while teaching students the steps a person must take to make it all the way to the White House.
The unit begins with each student choosing a favorite fictional character who they believe has the qualities necessary to become a great leader. Students then campaign for their character, spending their fundraising dollars wisely along the way.
In addition to advertising, students will write a persuasive speech, take part in a debate, and learn that all votes are not counted equally with the Electoral College.
- Choose a fictional character to nominate for President based on positive character traits
- Summarize the process involved in electing a president
- Spend their allotted budget wisely in order to create an effective advertising campaign
- Present a persuasive speech speaking from the point of view of their fictional character
- Analyze information put forth by each character in order to make an informed choice on Election Day
Classmates unite around the newly elected president during an Inauguration Day celebration.
Supporting Book Lists
- Books for Teaching About Elections
- Election Book List
3–5, 6–8, 9–12