- Combine elements of a fictional story to create a visual representation of a scene from Esperanza Rising
- Choose a story starter to begin writing a story in the form of a dramatic or narrative piece
- Use digital resources to explore the life of an author and how she finds her purpose for writing
- Write a short narrative based on an interview or personal experience
- View nonprint resources to establish a historical setting for a piece of writing
- Write a journal entry from the point of view of someone who lives in a different time period
- Publish their writing online
Students create a virtual display by combining different story elements of Esperanza Rising into a visual representation. They also write their own stories.
Students take on the point of view of someone living during the Great Depression, which is the setting of the book Esperanza Rising, by providing photographs as inspiration for a journal entry.
Students read about how Pam MuÃ±oz came up with the tale of Esperanza Rising. They use the interview as a model for completing their own interviews, then complete scrapbooks of the important events in the life of their interviewees.