- Identify and examine the concept of connotation.
- Differentiate between the connotative and denotative meaning of words.
- Interpret the connotative power of words.
- Write vivid, meaningful language.
- Demonstrate knowledge and control of the connotative power of words.
- Create a visual presentation to illustrate word power.
- Prepare and perform an oral presentation of completed work.
Students will work with partners throughout the project, and will present their Sports Team posters to the class.
Students examine sports team names to learn the difference between connotation and denotation/definition of words.
1 CLASS PERIOD
Would you rather be on Team Sloth or Team Meteor? Students analyze the connotation of fictitious names, paying special attention to the human reaction to words.
2 CLASS PERIODS
Students practice using vivid language with appropriate connotation to enhance their writing.