In this Flashlight Readers session, students build their knowledge of literary elements by participating in activities related to the Newbery Honor book Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. Students develop an understanding of plot, character, setting, and theme as well as the writing process, all while having fun.
- Create a scrapbook featuring characters from the story
- Play a reading comprehension maze game based on the story's plot and themes
- Listen and read along with a slideshow of drafts narrated by the author
- Communicate with the author through a moderated chat
- Learn about the author and her writing process
Students analyze the main characters in the story Because of Winn-Dixie by creating online scrapbooks in which they identify character traits and use textual evidence to support their ideas.
Students reunite Because of Winn-Dixie characters Opal and Winn-Dixie in this timed reading comprehension maze game. They demonstrate their understanding of the novel's plot, theme, and settings.
This fun, visually appealing online hub brings the book to life with Winn-Dixie-related activities and exclusive content about the author.