Bring hearts and valentines into the classroom with these cross-curricular crafts and lesson plans.
- Be able to diagram the human heart, following the blood flow in and out
- Become familiar with the terms having to do with the heart
- Compare and contrast the heartbeats per minute while resting and taking part in different exercises
- Identify exercises that promote a healthy heart
- Identify healthy habits, including healthy eating habits
- Create posters promoting healthy hearts
- Research the history of the heart shape
- Create a work of art using a paper heart
- Write a Valentine’s Day poem about a classmate
At the end of this unit, the students will participate in a charitable event (for example, decorating heart cookies at an orphanage or nursing home and reading the residents poems or doing a heart craft), as well as their classroom Valentine's Day party. Our school also has a "Jump Rope for Heart" day around this time of year.
These class activities introduce students to the power of their heart and provide an opportunity to talk about maintaining good health.
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5
Using a fun story and historical facts about Valentine's Day, students consider the different ways people express their feelings for friends and show one another love.