Welcome to Cultivating Data, a standards-aligned program designed to address data analysis and its graphic representations in a real-world context that will be meaningful to grades 7–8 and advanced students.
Developed by The Actuarial Foundation with Scholastic, the program provides knowledge- and skill-building activities through a fun, relatable story line about siblings managing a portion of their family farm. The entrepreneurial teens turn to data analysis tools to make business decisions and demonstrate success.
- Construct and interpret line plots, stem-and-leaf plots, and box-and-whisker plots, and use these to find measures of central tendency
- Construct and interpret scatterplots with lines of best fit, and use them to find outliers and answer critical-thinking questions
- Calculate expected value to analyze risk
- Construct data tables; calculate mean, median, mode, and range; and use measures of central tendency to make decisions
- Cultivating Data Worksheets: Line Plots, Stem-and-Leaf Plots, and Box-and-Whisker Plots
- Answer Key: Cultivating Data Worksheets
- Standards Chart: Cultivating Data
- Cultivating Data: Organize, Display, and Analyze Statistical Information Classroom Poster
- Cultivating Data Worksheets: Steps to Selecting a Measure of Central Tendency
- Cultivating Data Worksheet: You Say Tomato!
- Cultivating Data Worksheets: Scatterplots, Outliers, and Lines of Best Fit
- Cultivating Data Study Time vs. Test Score: Table and Scatterplot