How to Enter
Want to receive updates on the Lexus Eco Challenge? Sign up here!
TEACHERS, ENTER THE LEXUS ECO CHALLENGE IN FOUR EASY STEPS.
The Lexus Eco Challenge has the power to transform the way students see the world around them. By engaging their creativity in the areas of STEM, citizenship, and the environment, the annual competition for grades 6–12 helps students grow as thinkers and scholars.
Teams may choose to enter one or both of two initial challenges: Land & Water or Air & Climate. Winners of the first two challenges will receive an invitation to compete in the Final Challenge
- Registration for the Land & Water Challenge opens 8/1/19.
- Registration for the Air & Climate Challenge opens 10/18/19.
- Invitations for the Final Challenge will be sent by email 1/28/20.
Here’s how to enter the Land & Water and Air & Climate Challenges:
1. REGISTER A TEAM: Select a team of 5–10 students, then click the button above to “Register a Team”—teams must be registered to participate.
- Teams must be led by a Teacher Advisor (a full-time teacher employed by the school, not a volunteer).
- Teacher Advisors may register more than one team per challenge.
- Teams may participate in one or both challenges, however teams may only submit one entry per challenge and team members may only participate in one team per challenge.
- If participating in both Challenge 1 and Challenge 2, teams must be registered for each challenge.
2. CHOOSE A TOPIC: Teams utilize the Challenge Planning Sheets to select an environmental topic that impacts their community and is appropriate to the theme of the challenge they have chosen to enter. Then, they work as a group to develop an action plan to affect change.
3. COMPLETE THE ACTION PLAN: Students develop a plan to solve the issue, implement it, and create a presentation using one of the Action Plan Submission Templates (PowerPoint or Google Slides)to describe how they worked to solve their selected environmental issue.
- Action Plans must be unique to the specific challenge and can be submitted for one challenge only. A team cannot submit the same Action Plan for both challenges.
Challenge Resources & Helpful Links
- Challenge Planning Worksheets Activities to help teams brainstorm a topic and plan
- Challenge Planner Key dates and deadlines
- Action Plan Submission Templates Teams must use the template to create their entries
- Action Plan Reference Tool and Rubric Tips for creating an Action Plan
- Official Rules
- Judging Criteria
4. SUBMIT THE ACTION PLAN: The Teacher Advisor emails the team’s Action Plan presentation to email@example.com on or before the deadline.
- Land & Water Challenge Deadline: entries due 10/16/19.
- Air & Climate Challenge Deadline: entries due 12/4/19 (Deadline extended to 12/11/19 due to school closures in the Northeast)
See the Official Rules for details. Check out how $500,000 in prizes are distributed to winning teams, teachers, and schools. And remember: Challenge winners will be invited to the Finals for a chance to win more prizes!