How to Enter
TEACHERS, ENTER THE LEXUS ECO CHALLENGE IN FOUR EASY STEPS.
The Lexus Eco Challenge has the power to transform the way students see the world around them. By engaging their creativity in the areas of STEM, citizenship, and the environment, the annual competition for grades 6–12 helps students grow as thinkers and scholars.
- Registration for Challenge 1: Land & Water opens 8/14/18.
- Registration for Challenge 2: Air & Climate opens 10/17/18.
Here’s how to enter:
1. REGISTER A TEAM: Select a team of 5–10 students, then click the button above to “Register a Team”—teams must be registered to participate.
- Teams must be led by a Teacher Advisor (a full-time teacher employed by the school, not a volunteer).
- Teacher Advisors may register more than one team per challenge.
- Teams may participate in one or both challenges, however teams may only submit one entry per challenge and team members may only participate in one team per challenge.
- If participating in both Challenge 1 and Challenge 2, teams must be registered for each challenge.
2. CHOOSE A TOPIC: The team chooses an environmental topic from the list below that impacts their community.
3. COMPLETE THE ACTION PLAN: Students develop a plan to solve the issue, implement it, and create a PowerPoint presentation using this Action Plan template to describe how they worked to solve their selected environmental issue.
- Action Plans must be unique to the specific challenge and can be submitted for one challenge only. A team cannot submit the same Action Plan for both challenges.
Challenge Resources & Helpful Links
- Action Plan Template Teams must use this template to create their entries
- Challenge Planner Key dates and deadlines
- Action Plan Reference Tool and Rubric Tips for creating an Action Plan
- Challenge Worksheets Activities to help teams brainstorm a topic and plan
- Official Rules
- Judging Criteria
4. SUBMIT THE ACTION PLAN: The Teacher Advisor emails the team’s Action Plan PowerPoint presentation to email@example.com on or before the deadline.
- Challenge 1 Deadline: Land & Water entries due 10/15/18.
- Challenge 2 Deadline: Air & Climate entries due 12/10/18.
See the Official Rules for details. Check out how $500,000 in prizes are distributed to winning teams, teachers, and schools. And remember: Challenge winners will be invited to the Finals for a chance to win more prizes!
Challenge 1: Land & Water Topics
- Landfills, Waste Management, and Recycling
- Forest Destruction/Deforestation and Desertification
- Endangered Species and Loss of Biodiversity
- Water Conservation and Fresh Water Shortages
- Shrinking Wetlands and Aquatic Habitats
- Threats to the World’s Waterways and Oceans, e.g., Poorly Managed Fishing, Pollution, Coastal Tourism and Development, and Shipping
Entries Due: 10/15/18
Challenge 2: Air & Climate Topics
- Global Warming
- Air Pollution
- Ozone Depletion
- Greenhouse Gases
- Fossil Fuels and Renewable Energy
Entries Due: 12/10/18
Challenge 3: Final Challenge
Participation in the Final Challenge is by invitation only.
The thirty-two (32) finalist teams from Challenge 1 and Challenge 2, as determined by the Lexus Eco Challenge judging process, will be eligible for the Final Challenge.