This word search puzzle teaches kids important information about gas safety.
Skills supporting learning standards: vocabulary development, reading comprehension, participating in group discussions, making inferences
Copies of the “Safety Savvy” student activity sheet
- Start by asking students the following questions:
- How do we use gas in our homes? (Some homes use gas to heat water and to power heaters, stoves, ovens, washing machines, clothes dryers, and other appliances.)
- How does gas reach our homes? (Gas comes into our homes through underground pipelines.)
- What does a gas leak smell like? (Rotten eggs)
- Copy and distribute the student activity sheet. Review and discuss the information as a class.
- Have students work independently to answer the questions and find the answers in the word search. Once done, review the correct answers aloud.
Answers: eggs; white; report; sparks; phone; house
Teachers, learn more about gas safety at coned.com/customercentral/gassafety.asp.
(Note: This site is for adults only.)