Use this reading comprehension and teamwork activity to underscore the importance of electricity safety tips.
Skills supporting learning standards: writing informative/explanatory text, reading comprehension, conducting research
To start this activity, ask students to list things that use electricity. Answers might include: TV, computers, lights, subway, refrigerator, heat, air-conditioning, etc. Explain that we use electricity for many reasons, but it can be dangerous if not used safely.
Copy and distribute the activity sheet to students. After reviewing the instructions, have students complete the scenarios on their own and then review the answers as a group. Encourage students to always tell a parent or grown-up if they see something unsafe. Students should not fix the problem themselves.
As a follow-up, have students work in teams to research additional electric-safety tips. The groups should create their own scenarios and identify safe actions the characters should take. Safety rules might include:
- Always have a parent help you with electric appliances and cords.
- Let a parent or adult know if there’s a problem with an outlet, wire, or other electric appliance.
- Don’t play with electric cords.
- Don’t overload outlets with too many plugs.
- Don’t pull on cords to unplug appliances. Hold on to the plug itself.
- Don’t touch an electric appliance while wet or standing in water.
- Choice B: Stay away and tell an adult to call 911 and the electric company to report the dangling wire. [Students should explain that loose or dangling wires can have electricity running through them and can shock or electrocute people so they shouldn’t touch them.]
- Choice B: Not plug in the mystery object. Instead, give it to his grandmother for a professional to repair. [Students should explain that broken wires are unsafe and can cause shocks or fires.]
- Choice A: Keep his little brother away from the sink and tell his parents right away. [Students should explain that putting your hand in the water to remove the radio is unsafe because appliances can send electricity through water and can cause shocks.]