The Power of Green program reinforces language arts, math, and science skills while exploring tips for conserving energy and recycling, and teaching about electric and gas safety.
Reinforce easy energy-saving tips (and get students to think about new ones) by asking students to form complete sentences by connecting the first part of the tips with their logical conclusions.
Skills supporting learning standards: listening comprehension, participating in group discussions
Teach your students energy-saver tips with this matching activity. Copy the "What's the Message?" student reproducible and distribute to each student. Read the instructions and example together and then have students complete the activity independently or in pairs. When they are done, review the answers and invite students to share additional energy-saving habits they know.
- Unplug phone and computer chargers when not using them.
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room.
- Put on a sweater instead of turning up the heat.
- Keep windows closed when the air conditioner is on.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth.
- Shut down the computer when you go out to play.
As a follow-up activity, sing the song as a class and brainstorm