Encourage students to research and brainstorm ways to conserve energy.
Skills supporting learning standards: vocabulary development, writing informative/explanatory text, reading comprehension, conducting research
In this activity, students will learn energy-saving tips. They will then research additional ways to conserve energy and convey their findings in a question-and-answer format.
To start, ask students:
- What do you use electricity and energy for every day?
- On average, what do you think uses the most energy in a home? (Heating is the highest use of energy. Students will discover other uses of energy on the activity sheet.)
- Why do you think it’s important to save energy? (Conserving energy can help the environment.)
- What are some things you do to save energy?
Next, make copies of the student reproducible and hand them out to students. Read the page together and discuss the energy-saving tips. Ask students:
- Did any of the tips surprise you?
- Do you practice any of these tips?
After reading the page, have students work with a partner to research additional energy-saving tips and write their own Q&A to present their findings. Students can perform their interviews for the class.