Help students understand how Jackie Robinson broke professional baseball’s color barrier by using values, and motivate them to write essays about how they use values to face their own barriers. Students can enter their essays in the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.
- Study the definition of what a “barrier” is
- Discuss different obstacles people face in life
- Read and discuss an informational text on professional baseball player Jackie Robinson
- Discuss how character traits displayed by Jackie Robinson can be helpful in facing and overcoming different kinds of barriers
- Learn about the concept of “values” and how they are used to face barriers
- Build upon knowledge about Jackie Robinson and how he used values to help face the barrier of breaking baseball’s color barrier
- Identify barriers in their own lives
- Write personal essays about barriers they face and how they can use values to overcome their barriers
Students can submit the essays they write in the Breaking Barriers Essay Organizer: Writing About Your Barriers for Grade 9 lesson plan to the Breaking Barriers Essay Contest.
Continue the learning with these teaching extensions for film clips from Jackie Robinson, a film by Ken Burns, Sarah Burns, and David McMahon.