- Connect understanding of concepts to key terms/vocabulary.
- Write complete sentences.
- Set goals for learning upon reflection of understanding.
- Determine how students are progressing towards proficiency in the unit and use that information to frame next-steps for teaching.
- Vocabulary terms (write on the board or use teacher created handouts)
- Student materials (pen/paper)
- Teacher created handouts:
Set Up and Prepare
- Create lists of scrambled like-terms (pairs of terms, for example) that stem from the unit of study from which students are working.
- Create a list of statements/sentences that demonstrate the relationship between two like terms as a "key" for students to gauge their own responses later.
- Inform students that by matching like terms and describing why they belong together, they and you will get a clearer idea of which direction you need to go in teaching the unit.
- Clarify instructions to students:
"Sort (or group) terms into pairs of like-terms that are related to...(a concept in the unit of study). Write statements for each pair of terms that discusses the relationship between those terms"
- Model the process with one set of terms.
- Provide time for students to complete the task.
- Once students are done, provide samples of acceptable responses that show the relationship between pairs of terms.
- Ask students to reflect how close or different their responses were to yours.
- Instruct students to analyze which concepts they are strongest in and which need additional support for learning.
- Instruct students to write statements that reflect their understanding of what they discovered they know and what areas need additional time and support for learning.
- Collect responses to frame next steps for teaching the unit.
Supporting All Learners
Provide sentence frames to encourage the writing of complete sentences:
- I believe that...
- From this week's learning, I think that...
- In my opinion...
- It seems to me that...
Provide specific websites or hard copy resources for students and parents to use as a tutorial for areas of additional support.
Provide specific websites or hard copy resources for students to use independently as a tutorial for areas of additional support.
- Are students on track for proficiency based on their performance/ self-analysis of the word sort task?
- What are your next steps as a teacher to provide support and instruction to meet the needs of all students?
Create a data analysis graph for students to see individual and class’s progress towards standards achievement.