Teach This Lesson
Marching in Time
- Obtain a recording of a song with a clock or time theme, such as “Rock Around the Clock” and a portable music player.
- On the 12 sheets of paper, write the numerals 1 to 12.
- Go outside and set the numerals on the ground in a large circle, so that they look like a clock.
- Have children stand around the outside of the circle.
- Tell them that when the music starts they should walk slowly in a clockwise direction around the circle.
- Start and stop the music stops, call a time, such as 4 o'clock.
- The children standing at “12” and “4” raise their hands.
- Continue to play in this manner, starting and stopping the music and calling a time.
- Then change to half-hour intervals, fifteen-minute intervals, and so on.
Related Books and Products
Teaching Early Math Skills with Favorite Picture Books
Guided Reading Level
Books | Individual Titles | Activity Book
Starting at: $12.99