- Examine cause-and-effect relationships within the story
- Identify problems/conflicts and solutions within the plot of the story
- Examine "conformity" as a main theme of the novel.
- Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli
- Plot Sheet and Conflict List printable, or similar graphic organizer
Step 1: Have students fill in Plot Sheet and Conflict List printable, or create their own graphic organizer identifying the main problem and solution, the main character's goal, and key events in the story.
Step 2: Towards the end of the novel, organize students into small groups of 3 or 4 to review information recorded on the sheet. Ask the students to discuss whether or not there is just one problem/conflict within the story and whether or not there is just one solution.
Step 3: Have the students examine their own need to fit in versus the beauty of individuality. Ask each student to create an acrostic poem out of his or her own name identifying key personal characteristics and strengths each can celebrate.