About the Book
Melissa Abigail Rose (Missy) anxiously anticipates picture day at school and dreams about the fabulous outfit she will wear. Her mother, however, has other ideas. Missy commiserates to her friend Oscar about her boring ensemble. Together, they find a creative solution to her picture day debacle.
Tell students that today they are going to have the opportunity to read Missy’s Super Duper Royal Deluxe: Picture Day independently.
- Identify the title and author. Predict what the story might be about.
- Discuss the students’ experiences related to the topic of Picture Day.
- Identify several pages with speech bubbles and talk about the bubbles’ purpose and a strategy for reading them.
Have students think about the following as they read:
- What did the author write about?
- Who is telling the story?
- Whose point of view is featured in the story?
Ask students to retell what happened at the beginning, middle, and end of the story. (RL 2.5: Describe the overall structure of a story, including describing how the beginning introduces the story and the ending concludes the action.)
Fill in the Blanks: To support students in retelling the sequence of events in a story, have them fill in the blanks by using the following structure.
Then, ___________________________________ .
This happened at the end of the chapter/book: __________________________________.
I think Missy felt _____________________________ because ____________________________________ .
(RL 1.3: Describe characters, settings, and major events in a story using key details.)