Teach your students all about teeth and use this unit as a guide. Students also discuss their experiences at the dentist.
- Students will identify what a dentist does in his/her job.
- Students will list reasons why a person goes to the dentist.
- Students will write about an experience with a dentist.
- Large paper tooth for brainstorming words (add to the one from the previous lesson)
- Small tooth-shaped paper for experience writing
- Kidspiration™ software
- Kid Pix™ software
- Large screen TV or projector
- Crocodile and the Dentist by Taro Gomi
- Doctor De Soto by William Steig
- Dr. Kanner, Dentist with a Smile by Alice K. Flanagan, photographs by Christine Osinski
Set Up and Prepare
- Have Kidspiration™ software ready to use on the computer.
Step 1: Read Crocodile and The Dentist and Doctor De Soto.
Step 2: Using Kidspiration™ on a computer connected to a large screen TV (or use chart paper) lead the class in comparing and contrasting the two books.
Step 1: Read Dr. Kanner, Dentist With a Smile.
Step 2: Compare this book with the other two adding to the Kidspiration™ web.
Step 3: Brainstorm words students may want to use when writing about dentists. These could be written on a large paper tooth. Or print the Kidspiration™ web in the outline and make copies for groups to share. This will allow students access to words about dentists.
Step 4: Students write about their experiences with dentists on tooth-shaped paper.
Optional: The students could illustrate and write about dentists using Kid Pix™.
Step 5: Bind the students' stories to create a book about dentists.
Learn more about teeth and play dental health games with these fun Web sites.
- Have students tell three facts about dentists.
- Write a story about dentists.
- Was there enough time?
- Did students have enough content information to write about dentists?
- How effective was the use of the software?
- Teacher Observation: Were students able to compare and contrast stories?
- Teacher Observation: Can students describe a dentist's job?
- Copies of the student's experience writing will be saved for their assessment portfolios.