Whether you teach in a school, center, or family child-care home, your cooking projects need to be safe. These tips will help keep your activities accident-free.
- Never let children use the stove, oven, hot plate, or garbage disposal.
- Mark off a "safety zone" around the stove, oven, or hot plate with masking tape. Explain that because the stove gets very hot, children must stay behind the tape.
- Seat children far enough from the stove, oven, or hot plate so they can't reach the hot surface.
- Face pot handles toward the center of the stove so children can't grab them.
- Sit with children while using electrical appliances.
- Cover all electrical sockets when not in use.
- Place safety guards on drawers and doors.
- Insist that children sit while cutting.
- Supervise children's use of hot tap water.
- Keep small, chopped foods - choking hazards - away from babies.