About the Book
Minty's neighborhood is full of mysteries. There's the Witch House, a spooky old farmhouse on the other side of the woods from where Minty and her best friend, Paz, live. There's the Man Bat, a seven-foot-tall half man, half bat who is rumored to fly through the woods. And there are the Mean Boys, David and Troy, who torment Minty for no reason, and her boy-crazy older sister, Thea, who acts weirder and weirder.
One day Minty spots a flash in the woods, and when she chases after it, she discovers a new mystery: a Secret Tree, with a hollow trunk that holds the secrets of everyone in the neighborhood.
- Why do you think the people of Catonsville share secrets with the Secret Tree instead of with each other?
- How did you feel when Paz ignores Minty to be with her new friends?
- Raymond asks Minty not to tell anyone about him and she keeps his secret. Do you think you would have been able to keep his secret? Why or why not?
- Thea tells Minty that middle school students often try out different personalities. Have you noticed that you or your friends do this?
- Minty’s secret is, “I don’t want to grow up. Ever.” Why do you think she feels this way?
- Thea explains that friendships can’t be forced. Discuss what makes your friendships stronger.
- Why do you think Raymond is nice to Troy even after he sees him being unkind?
- Why do you think Lennie lets Raymond keep Marcella, her favorite stuffed animal?
- Do you think it is hard to make new friends and still keep your old ones? Why?
- Minty believes that if she keeps saying something out loud, it will come true. Do you believe this? Why or why not?