About the Book
M Freeman is a student at the Lawless School — a prestigious and secretive academy for the children of criminal masterminds. But when she’s taken off campus for a real world art heist, she realizes she might be on the wrong side of the law after all.
- How is M different from other girls? Do you know anyone who shares some of M’s personality traits?
- M’s teacher says: “If the borders and histories of countries are so easily rewritten, what about the borders and histories of individuals like ourselves?” What do you think he is asking M to think about?
- One Lawless motto is: “Too much watching and not enough doing leads the Lawless student down a dead end.” Do you think this is true? Why or why not?
- Why do you think Ms. Watts warned M not to go to the Lawless School?
- How are M and her friends at the Lawless School different from characters in other books? How are they the same? Which group would you rather hang out with?
- Advanced technology like the Box, digitized campus maps, and the ability to outsmart iris recognition software, are all found on the Lawless campus. What kinds of cool technology would you like at school or at home?
- Why do you think the Masters invited M to be part of their exclusive club? What clubs do you belong to or want to join?
- Was it surprising to find out that Devon is a Fulbright? Why or why not?
- What lessons does M learn from her tutors before attending the Lawless School that turn out to be very useful? How do these things help her?
- Would you rather be a Lawless student or a Fulbright? Why?