About the Book
When Early’s father mysteriously disappears, she takes it upon herself to try to track him down.
- The Pearl family collects their favorite words in a notebook called a “Word Book.” Discuss some of your favorite words and why they are important to you.
- Many people believe that names have an effect on personalities. What does your name mean? How does it relate to your personality?
- One of the Pearl family mottos is “words are free and plentiful!” What is the significance of this statement for the Pearls?
- After Dash disappears, Early’s behavior changes. How does she act more like the mother than the daughter?
- Dash and Early find rhythms in everything from numbers to architecture. What rhythms do you notice in your life?
- Early and her family dream about buying a house. What are some of your dreams?
- If you were writing something for Early’s Home Dreams idea, what would you write?
- What do you think would have happened if Early had not investigated her father’s disappearance?
- Why do you think the title of the book is Hold Fast?
- Combine all the names in your family to make one special family name just like Dashsumearlyjubie.