About the Book
Filled with danger, deceit, and hidden identities, this action-packed adventure will keep readers on the edge of their seats!
In a medieval kingdom, civil war is brewing, but a devious nobleman named Conner has a plan to gain control. He's going to put an impersonator of the king's long-lost son on the throne, and then he himself will rule from behind the scenes. After scouring the land, Conner finds Sage and three other orphans and forces them to compete for the role — or face certain death. Sage doesn't trust Conner one bit, but he's determined to win the competition. And he's got a few tricks up his sleeve.
- Sage lives in an orphanage and steals food to live, but refuses to go with Conner. Why is he so reluctant?
- Why doesn’t Conner let Latamer go?
- During the lessons and competitions with Tobias and Roden, Sage frequently acts as if he does not want to be prince. Why does he behave this way?
- The only person Sage seems to trust is Imogen. Why do you think they have such a strong bond?
- Why does Sage put the kitchen knife under Tobias’s mattress? Why doesn’t Sage tell Mott or Conner that Tobias attacked him?
- Do you think Sage is like a caterpillar that goes wherever he wants without being noticed? Or as Mrs. Turbeldy believes, is he like a cockroach that runs freely in the night but scatters in the light?
- Sage says that it’s not easy to be one type of person when you’ve worked so hard to be a different type of person. Have you ever pretended you were a different type of person than who you really are? What was that like?
- What clues foreshadowed Sage’s true identity? How did Mott figure it out? What might have happened if Conner found out Sage’s true identity before he was ready to reveal it?
- Sage insists that Imogen, Roden, and Tobias follow him to Drylliad. Why did he insist on their company? How did they feel about accompanying him?
- Conner beats Sage to try to ensure that Sage follows his orders once he is king. Why doesn’t Sage tell Conner the truth and save himself the beating?