About the Book
"Confession: My life is soooo not sprinkles and sunshine..."
Hayley's world is far from perfect: Her parents have divorced, her mom has lost her job, and she and her sister Chloe are stuck sharing a bedroom in their grandmother's apartment. Luckily, Hayley has a knack for baking cupcakes, and cupcakes always make life just a little sweeter! But when she and her best friend Artie start drifting apart, she realizes that it's going to take more than sugar and spice to make things nice.
- Why did Marco accept a school suspension instead of explaining the reason for fighting with another student? If you were Hayley, would you have kept Marco’s secret?
- Gran is originally from England and enjoys high tea every afternoon. Do you or anyone you know maintain traditions from another place?
- Hayley and her family all made contributions to turn the Tea Room into a newfound success. Have you and your friends or family also pooled your individual talents on a group project?
- Why do you think Hayley was nervous about telling her mom that Annie gave her the necklace? Discuss a time that you felt nervous about telling your parents something.
- Hayley laughed at the idea of being Marco’s girlfriend, which hurt his feelings. Do you think the relationship between Marco and Hayley can be repaired?
- Hayley surprised herself by delivering a powerful speech to try to save the cupcakes. Have you ever thought you could not do something and surprised yourself when you could?
- How does Hayley inspire her mother to be brave? Who are some people who inspire you?
- Hayley is impressed with Meghan’s ability to fight for what she believes in. What issues do you think are important and worth a fight?
- Hayley believes that once you see someone from a new angle, it’s impossible to see that person the way you did in the past. Discuss how Hayley’s perception of someone in her life has changed.
- Annie told Hayley that things that appear lucky can sometimes be unlucky, while things that appear unlucky can actually be lucky. Discuss a time you felt this way.