About the Book
Three kids get caught up in an adventure of historic proportions!
Anna, Jose, and Henry are complete strangers with more in common than they realize. Snowed in together at a chaotic Washington D.C. airport, they encounter a mysterious tattooed man, a flamboyant politician, and a rambunctious poodle named for an ancient king. Even stranger, news stations everywhere have announced that the famous flag that inspired The Star-Spangled Banner has been stolen! Anna, certain that the culprits must be snowed in too, recruits Henry and Jose to help catch the thieves and bring them to justice.
But when accusations start flying, they soon realize there's more than justice at stake. As the snow starts clearing, Anna, Jose, and Henry find themselves in a race against time (and the weather!) to prevent the loss of an American treasure.
- Why did Anna, Henry, and JosÃ© ignore each other at the party? What would they have learned if they spoke to each other? Are you shy with new people or do you speak openly?
- Anna is a fan of the Harriet the Spy books, and JosÃ© loves the Harry Potter books. What is your favorite book or character from a book? Explain the connection you feel.
- Henry’s love of videogames is helpful to plot their next move in fi nding the flag thief. What have you learned from videogames or computer games that you found useful in school or in life?
- Anna, Henry, JosÃ©, and Sinan became friends very quickly since they were stuck in the airport and had a mystery to solve. Explain a time you were forced to make friends quickly.
- Anna said she likes Governor Betty Frumble because she is a smart woman who is in charge and does things differently. What women do you admire? Why?
- Both Sinan and Anna carry a notebook. Sinan records idioms like “let the cat out of the bag” to help him learn the English language. Anna jots down ideas and interviews. If you had a notebook, what would you write or draw?
- Henry tells JosÃ©, “The test of any man lies in action.” What do you think he means by this?
- Why do you think Senator Snickerbottom acted the way he did?
- What clues did you notice throughout the book that led to the identities of those involved with the flag heist?
- What did Anna, Henry, JosÃ©, and Sinan learn about teamwork?