About the Book
Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone are separated and lost in a vast, uncharted desert. Eventually, the cousins reunite at a farmstead run by tough Gran’ma Ben and her spirited granddaughter, Thorn. But little do the Bones know, there are dark forces conspiring against them.
- Describe the character traits of Fone Bone, Phoney Bone, and Smiley Bone. Which character would you most want to be friends with?
- Why do you think Phoney Bone’s cousins help him when he is run out of town? Have you ever helped someone when no one else would?
- Fone Bone finds a magical valley. Think of another book that has a magical setting and compare the two.
- What tactic does Fone Bone use to escape the Rat Creatures when he is by himself? What would you do if faced by the Rat Creatures?
- What is happening in the pictures on page 93? Who is the little girl?
- Who is the caped creature who is after Phoney Bone? Why do you think he or she wants to find him?
- Would a barter system work in today’s world? Explain your answer.
- Describe what is happening in the last panel on page 138.
- Do you think Phoney Bone has learned his lesson after being run out of town? Use examples from the book to explain.
- Jeff Smith chose to tell this story using comics format. How do you think this book would be different if it were not a graphic novel?