These lesson plans, crafts, and hands-on projects will help students discover the world of plants.
Write a Recipe
Ask children if they have ever used a recipe. Discuss how a recipe has two parts — a list of ingredients and directions for how to use them. Ask children to recall the special food that was mentioned in the story.
- Show children the recipe for calabacitas at the back of the book and point out the list of ingredients and the directions.
- Help children write a class recipe for something that is simple and familiar, or suggest that the class make up a fun recipe for a sandwich that includes many ingredients.
- Have children suggest ideas for ingredients to include in their sandwich. Help them write the ingredients on chart paper using the letters they know.
- Encourage students to include a picture if they wish.
- As a class, write out the recipe directions. Discuss why a recipe has to follow a certain sequence.