About the Book
After Hattie and her three best friends watch one of their classmates being publicly defriended in the school cafeteria, they make a loyalty pact promising never to mistreat each other. But after Hattie unwittingly breaks the pact, her friends begin ignoring her. In fact, they literally don’t even know who she is anymore! Can Hattie figure out how to break the spell and make things right again?
- Why do Hattie and her friends create a friendship pact?
- Explain how Hattie’s social life changes after she unwittingly breaks the pact. How would you feel if you were in her position?
- How does Maude guide Hattie through her jinx? If you were jinxed, who would you want as your guide?
- Hattie works with Zooey to research colonial women and their roles in history. Which historical topic would you and your friends research together?
- Which scene from the book do you remember best? What makes it so memorable?
- Hattie feels homesick for Brooklyn, her old home. Have you ever felt homesick? Share your experience.
- Explain why Zooey chooses to turn in her “mean-girl credentials.” What are the consequences of her choice? How are they negative or positive?
- How does Hattie evolve over the course of the story? Why does she start being more honest with her friends about herself? Is there something you’ve learned to be more honest about?
- Did you ever find yourself disagreeing with a character’s choice? What did they do? What would you have done differently?
- What surprised you most about the story? What did you learn from reading this book?
Learn more about the Mother Daughter Book Club!