Planning an Author Study
Teaching Reading With Bill Martin Books, available from Scholastic Professional Books, offers these suggestions for getting started:
1. Gather all the Bill Martin Jr. titles you can and share the books with children over the course of three or four weeks.
2. Decorate a bulletin board and use it to feature covers, characters’ names,and favorite quotes from Bill Martin Jr.’s books.
3. Invite students to try their hands at writing snappy pieces of language that roll off the tongue.
4. Encourage ongoing discussion of the books with the following questions:
- How are the books of Bill Martin Jr. alike? How are they different?
- If you were going to give an award to one Bill Martin Jr. book, which would you choose? Why?
- Which of Bill Martin’s books do you think are serious? Which do you think are silly?
- What type of books do you think Bill Martin Jr. likes to write best?
- What’s fun for you about the language in Bill Martin Jr.’s books?
And be sure to visit Weston Woods for an animated video and a Study Guide of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom as well as Chicka Chicka 1, 2, 3.