With this detailed guide, show your students how to take their writing to a new level, and help them enrich their stories with multimedia using free publishing software and photography Web sites.
Using Web Tools for Student Publishing: Projects Across Curriculum Areas
PreK–K, 1–2, 3–5, 6–8
Some ideas for ways to create digital books and writing in various curriculum areas are listed here and can also be downloaded. Integrate several curriculum areas by using digital photos to create books or online documents.
- Art, math and writing: create a digital book or online document on the art elements: line, shape, color, texture and space.
- Art, language concepts and writing: create a digital book on perspective using concepts like above, below, under, behind, over, on, far, near, etc.
- Math, social studies, and writing: create a digital book or online document about a construction project in the community. Talk about the math concepts used measuring, angles, shapes. Talk about the effect on the community.
- Science, math, writing: create a digital book about cooking. Talk about measurement, safety rules and what happens when something is heated or cooled.
- Science, language, writing: create a digital book or online document about the steps in a process or experiment. Reading, writing, math: create a digital book about a math mystery using cause/effect writing.
- Reading, writing, health: create a digital comic book about good health practices.
- Social Studies, reading, writing: create a biography book or online document about a famous person.
- Science, reading, writing: create an "I Spy" book with foods from the different food groups.
- Social studies, reading, writing: Write news stories about happenings in the community and publish them on your Web site.
- Social Studies, character education, writing, acting: Take photos of students acting out positive character traits in social activities, such as sharing, helping, brave, respectful, curious, etc. Use these photos to create a book or Web site article.
- Physical education, writing: create a digital book or online document about rules for games or to show how to do a skill.