- Select books that are at or above the students’ grade level.
- Choose books that are classics, favorites, or on topics of interest to the students.You may even want to choose books related to the science and social studies topics covered in your curriculum, or books of a particular genre.
- Choose books rich in language and detail.This will aid students in developing their listening and speaking vocabularies.
- Choose both fiction AND nonfiction.
- Choose books written by a popular children’s author. Encourage students to compare the books.
For more about fluency, including lessons, strategies, and ideas, see Your Complete Guide to Reading Fluency .