Statue of Liberty National Monument includes the statue on Liberty Island in New York Harbor as well as the former immigration center on nearby Ellis Island, encompassing a total area of 24 ha (58 acres).
The monument was established in 1924, when Liberty Island was known as Bedloe's Island. The island was renamed in 1956 by an act of Congress. The monument is reached by a short ferry ride from Battery Park, at the southern tip of Manhattan Island.
The statue was refurbished as part of a 3-year, $30 million project completed in 1986. A visitor center in the base of the statue offers displays describing the history of the statue's construction as well as aspects of the tide of 19th-century immigration that swept by there.
The Museum of Immigration was opened in 1990 on three floors of the refurbished immigration center on Ellis Island. It displays representative articles from among the baggage that immigrants brought with them. The focal point is the Great Hall, where immigrants were given medical examinations and interviewed. The monument was designated a World Heritage Site in 1984.