Use a snow gauge to measure the amount of snow that falls in a given period of time.
Build Your Own Weather Tool!
Use the materials and follow the directions below.
- Flat board, at least 2' X 4" wide
- Place the board outside on a flat surface in an open area.
- Check the board every day at the same time, preferably in the morning before any snow that fell overnight has a chance to melt.
- Stick the ruler into the snow until it hits the board. Note how high the snow fall measures.
- Record in your notes how much snow has fallen to the nearest ¼ of an inch (.25).
- Wipe the snow off the board, and place the clean board on top of snow.